Effective Drops for Dry Eyes
Dry eyes are a problem that a large number of people have to deal with. Research reveals that dry eyes are an irritation of the eyes that can occur for a multitude of reasons.
From dust, smoke and environmental pollution, to a range of ailments, there can be a number of causes for dry eyes. Chronic dry eyes can also happen as you grow older. In this regard, most people above the age of fifty are more likely to suffer from dry eyes. But this doesn’t mean they can’t be caused by reasons other than age. In fact, modern lifestyles have many triggers for dry eyes including computer screens, cell phone screens, sleep deprivation and constant exposure to bright lights.
Although dry eyes are a common problem, you must address them with the appropriate treatment measures. Dry Eye Syndrome is a condition where the moisture in your eyes falls below the ideal level. This is when you experience an irritating or burning sensation in your eyes. Dry eyes can also occur because of spending long hours staring at computer screens without blinking.
The market is currently flooded with a range of eye drops to treat dry eyes. However, before you make your choice, we’ll try and make you understand the reason you’re suffering from dry eyes. It’s only when you’re aware of the real cause for you experiencing dry eyes, that you’ll be able to make a more informed choice about the best drops for dry eyes.
What are the best drops for dry eyes?
While choosing from over-the-counter eye drops, keep two things in mind. First, make sure you know the cause of your dry eyes, and second, ensure that you’re aware of the basic composition of the drops.
This is to ensure that you buy the best drops for dry eyes that you can get. The following are some of the questions you should keep in mind when choosing from the range of eye drops in the market:
- Over-the-counter eye drops will help lubricate and moisten your eyes as much as possible. Humectants are the primary moisture-retaining element in a large number of eye drops, that make this possible. Along with humectants, you can also find electrolytes like potassium in these eyes drops, which are paramount to keeping them hydrated.
- Restasis or Cyclosporine is considered one of the best drops for dry eyes. Cyclosporine eye drops can treat dry eyes, conjunctivitis and other forms of inflammation that stem from dry eye syndrome. Cyclosporine eye drops are often suggested for long-term use. They need to be administered twice a day and can greatly improve tear production. However, Cyclosporine eye drops are only available on a prescription by a qualified medical professional. This is because long-term use of Cyclosporine has been linked to a number of side effects.
- The best drops for dry eyes are often, just regular over-the-counter medication. They can provide immense relief from dry eyes and irritation. You can also use gels and ointments which provide relief from eye redness and burning sensations. However, these gels must be left in longer for best results. So they’re better left for overnight use.
- Drops can be categorized into two groups: Eye drops that contain preservatives, and ones without preservatives. Preservatives prevent bacterial growth caused by infections and other eye problems. However, there are many who find eye drops with preservatives irritating to their eyes. These people are advised not to use eye drops with preservatives.
- Non-preservative-based eye drops are for more serious cases of eye dryness. They’re more expensive and often come in one-time use or single-use packages. But keep in mind that if you experience a burning or irritating sensation in your eyes after applying eye drops, you have to consult your doctor at once. In case you experience any irritation, wash off the eye drops with fresh, clean water immediately.
If you suffer from dry eyes, you should also ideally get your vision tested. Dry eyes can be an indicator of problems with vision. If you ignore chronic dry eyes, they can sometimes lead to more serious problems with vision. It is advisable to get your eyes checked at least twice a year to ensure they’re in good health.
While you try to find the best drops for dry eyes don’t cycle multiple products. In other words, don’t use too many different eye drops at the same time. This could be potentially dangerous for your eyes. Whatever you use to treat your dry eyes, must only be taken on the advice of a doctor. Anything else could lead to more harm than good. Ensure you rest your eyes enough, and before you know it, you’ll be saying goodbye to dry eyes forever.